Chicken Liver Pâté
Makes: Two large ramekins of pâté, or enough for starters for 4-6 people
Takes: 15 minutes, plus chilling
Bakes: No time at all
400g chicken livers
1 banana shallot
100ml marsala wine or madeira
50ml double cream
50-75g butter, depending on how many ramekins you use
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1. Melt 15g of butter in a pan. Cook the chicken livers for a couple of minutes on each side over a medium heat, turning them over: they should change colour, but still retain a hint of pink within. Set to one side.
2. Dice the shallot as finely as you can and cook gently in the butter left in the pan, until soft. Add to the food processor with the chicken liver.
3. Reduce 100ml of madeira or marsala wine by half in the pan, scraping up any little bits that have stuck to the bottom. Pour this into the food processor along with the cream and a generous pinch of salt.
4. Whizz the whole mix together until smooth, and then add the butter in chunks, bit by bit.
5. Check for seasoning, and push through a fine sieve to ensure smoothness. Pour into large or individual ramekins and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
6. Melt the ‘topping’ butter gently, sprinkle in the mace, and divide between the ramekins, forming a thin layer over the pâté on each. Chill for a couple of hours, until the butter is firm and the pâté completely cold.