Important Documents Required for Applying to US Universities
Here are the details of the documents required for abroad studies in the USA:
The most important document needed to study abroad is a passport. Apply for one far in advance if you don't already have one. Before you schedule your admission examinations, have them ready. Additionally, you need to keep extra copies of the passport's first and last pages on hand. Ensure that your passport is valid for at least six months after the date you want to return.
2. Resume/Curriculum Vitae
A resume/curriculum vitae is your key to opening the door to a university. It is the best way to show your skills and experience and how you will benefit the university and its students. You should format your CV in a specific way that makes it easy for admissions officers to scan for relevant information.
A good CV Includes all relevant information about your education, work experience, extracurricular activities, awards, honors, and achievements. It also includes your contact details (email address) and telephone number. It should look neat and professional.
Transcripts for admission to US universities are one of the most essential required documents. A transcript is a single document issued by your previous school or college.
It contains your scorecard, full of details about the courses you studied, in a concise format. Some universities will accept copies of your transcript, but it’s always best to send the original.
4. Marksheets and Pass Certificates
You must also produce copies of your relevant mark sheets and pass certificates. For example, if you are applying for a master's, you need mark sheets of 10th, 12th, all semesters, and passing certificates. Each application needs at least one set of copies, sometimes two. All the copies should be attested.
5. Letters of Recommendation
One of the most important documents required for applying to a US university's undergraduate and graduate programs are Letter of Recommendation (LOR). All letters must be written in support of the application and should be from individuals who are familiar with your work or character and can comment on these areas. They must be able to describe your skills, achievements, and experience at the college or professional level. The LOR's content must be printed on the company's header paper and sealed within the official envelope using stamps and signatures.
6. Entrance Exam Scorecards
For admission to universities in the USA, applicants must pass specific entrance tests. Before applying to the institutions of your choice, check the program for which you are applying and have your score available.
Some important entrance exams are -
- SAT: Almost all universities in the United States accept SAT scores of international students for applying to undergraduate programs.
- ACT: It is another exam score you may require while applying for undergraduate programs in the USA.
- GRE: It is required for most of the MS-level programs in the USA.
- GMAT: It is required for admission to Business Schools in the USA.
- MCAT: This exam is for students interested in pursuing medical studies in the US.
- LSAT: It is required to apply for admission to Law schools in the USA.
7. English Proficiency Test Scores
English language proficiency test results are also required for students coming from non-native English-speaking nations. This is important because you will be studying in English in the US, and universities need to ensure that won't be a problem for you. The TOEFL and IELTS are the two best-known exams.
8. Statement of Purpose
Your Statement of Purpose should demonstrate your interest in and passion for the subject you are applying to study and why you want to study that subject.
You may also include relevant information, such as extracurricular activities or employment experience, demonstrating that you have some of the skills or knowledge needed for success in a specific study area.
9. Work Experience letters
Make sure to include your experience letters from the relevant organizations if you have interned or worked
10. Research Proposal / Portfolio / Project Description
Universities may also request research proposals, portfolios, or project descriptions from students for some more specialized and research-based programs.
- Research proposals are required for research-based programs, such as Ph.D. and post-doctoral degrees.
- One of the documents needed for Masters's programs, including research in the USA, is a project description. Writing a thesis is typically a requirement for these programs.
- Applicants must submit portfolios for Masters's programs in the arts, design, and architecture. This helps the concerned college or university assess your expertise and potential in your subject of study.
11. Certificates for Extracurricular Activities
Make sure to include any necessary certificates supporting your claim that you excel in extracurricular activities. This can enhance your application's overall appeal to your colleges and universities.
These essential documents need to be included in your application. Check the website's list twice before submitting any unnecessary documents. But if you find yourself in a problem, do not panic! Contact one of our experienced counselors.