Richard Mcgrath

Popular Blogs

Blogs

What Causes the Faulty Cystic Fibrosis Gene?

on April 06 at 01:43 PM

To understand cystic fibrosis, it’s essential to consider how the gene responsible for the condition. Unfortunately, many people don’t know much about the condition or how it’s caused. As such, we are here to help you learn more about the genetic fault and how a mutation in your genes can result in CF.

 

 

What Causes CF?

 

Cystic fibrosis is a genetic condition that occurs in approximately 70,000 people globally and 40,000 people in the United States. This genetic defect can either be inherited from one’s parents or the result of a spontaneous mutation.

 

 

How CF Can Be Inherited

 

A faulty gene causes cystic fibrosis. The fault is recessive, meaning that a person needs two copies of the faulty gene (one inherited from each parent) to suffer from cystic fibrosis.

 

This means that if both parents have the mutated cystic fibrosis gene, there is a chance for any children to inherit cystic fibrosis. If both parents carry the cystic fibrosis gene (but don’t suffer from CF themselves), there is a 25% chance for a child to have CF, a 50% chance for them to be a carrier of CF and a 25% chance for them to be free from CF.

 

Alternatively, if only one parent carries the faulty cystic fibrosis gene, children from that couple won’t have cystic fibrosis. However, there is a chance that they will carry the cystic fibrosis gene.

 

 

Genetic Mutations

 

A child can be born with cystic fibrosis, even if there is no history of it in their family. This occurs due to a random mutation in the child’s DNA. This mutation can cause the symptoms of CF that we know about.

 

If a child is born with cystic fibrosis due to a random genetic mutation, they will always pass the CF gene onto their children. However, men with CF are infertile as the mutated gene also impacts the structure of male genitalia.

 

 

Who We Are

 

Our team here at Care MetX are experts in the healthcare industry, and that is why we are proud to support important causes such as the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. We have been at the forefront of Cystic Fibrosis research for over a decade. And, as a provider of hub services and medical reimbursement,  we’ve made it our goal to help as many people as possible with their healthcare needs.

 

Have any questions? We’re on hand to help, so feel free to contact us, and we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction!

Comments (1)